YOUR RESOURCE CENTER
There are many good sites with a wealth of light box information available on the internet. Below are a few that we’ve found and feel are important as well as reliable resources.
New light therapy information and sites are going up all the time, and we will continue to add them as we find good ones. If you find a web site which you feel could benefit others, please let us know and we’ll check it out, if it seems appropriate we’ll post it on this page as well.
At the bottom of this page you’ll also find some of our favorite Alaskan and local links, be sure to check them out as well.
Light therapy & related information sites
- WebMD , Light Therapy, When and why light therapy should be used.
- DepressionToolKit , Everything you need to know about SAD.
- WebMD , Seasonal Affective Disorder, Learn what SAD is and how you can treat it.
- CNN.com , Light therapy can help non-seasonal depression.
- PsyCom , a guide to treating SAD.
- Los Angeles Times, Seasonal affective disorder increasingly a workplace issue
- Columbia University Clinical Chronobiology Group, new and ongoing clinical trials at Columbia, all of which emphasize non-drug treatments for depression
- Psychologyinfo.com SAD Page
- Study on Light Therapy entitled, “Brighten Your Life” by Daniel F. Kripke, M.D.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder and Light Therapy
- Q & A on Bright Light Therapy
- Other Uses for Light Therapy beyond SAD
- www.sleepresearchsociety.org: Melatonin production information from the Society for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms.
- Columbia Clinical Chronobiology Program. Medication, Light and ion therapy for depression.
- HealthyGreat.com HealthyGreat.com is a health directory. You can find links to other websites relating to health, diseases and conditions, holistic health, cancer, beauty, fitness, nursing, yoga, healing, weight loss and other information about health.
- www.healthyplace.com Healthy Place is a consumer mental health site, providing comprehensive, trusted information on disorders and medications from both a consumer and expert point of view.
- www.PubMed.gov The effect of ultraviolet radiation from a novel portable fluorescent lamp on serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels in healthy adults with Fitzpatrick skin types II and III.
- “Winter Depression” by Angela Smyth, Unwin Paperbacks.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D) books from amazon.com.
- “The Light Book” by Jane Wegscheider Hyman, Ballantine Books.
- “Beyond Prozac” by Michael J. Norden, M.D.
- “Winter Blues: Seasonal Affective Disorder and How to Overcome It.” by Norman Rosenthal, is a complete resource book on SAD, available from Guilford Press, Inc., NY.
- “Fight the Winter Blues: Don’t Be Sad: Your Guide to Conquering Seasonal Affective Disorder” by Celeste Peters, Script Publishing Inc.
- “Broken Minds, Hope for Healing When You Feel Like You’re Losing It” by Rev. Steve Bloem, ISBN # 0825421187.