Bright Light Therapy/Depression Lights
Studies show that light treatment for depression affects the pineal gland's production of melatonin, a hormone that is believed to help prevent and relieve symptoms of depression. Here are a few nutritional suggestions for depression treatment and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in conjunction with light therapy and depression lights.
Nutrition and Depression
The following list of nutrients taken from Stephen Langer, M.D. and James F. Scheer's book, the Pocket Guide to Natural Health, have been shown to be effective in relieving depression:
- Vitamin B-Complex:
- 100 mg daily. Necessary for maintaining the biochemical balance of all B vitamins when supplementing with any single B vitamin.
- Vitamin B 1:
- 400 mg daily. Helps restore brain levels of the neurotransmitter acetycholine, a mood elevator.
- Vitamin B 12:
- 2,000 mcg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters. Always supplement when taking high amounts of folic acid.
- Vitamin C:
- 1,000 mg three times daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- Folic Acid:
- 5 mg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- 1,500 mg after breakfast and lunch. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- 1,000 mg taken twice daily with L-tyrosine. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- (SAMe) 400 mg twice daily for three weeks, then 200 mg daily for maintenance. Activates the brain to make the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
Actual Client Testimonials
"I bought my light before last winter and used it for the first time during the 2011-2012 winter season. I've had seasonal mood swings for as long as I can remember and have always struggled through the winters with anxiety and feeling down. This light is wonderful. I use it in the morning while reading the paper and drinking tea. It helps me wake up and brighten my mood. Thank you for producing an affordable medical grade product the public can buy."