7 Treatments for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
1. Get plenty of natural sunlight: Symptoms of seasonal affective disorder are triggered by lack of exposure to light. Take a daily walk or exercise outdoors, both are proven mood lifters.
2. Purchase a light box: The light box provides a measured amount of balanced spectrum light equivalent to standing outdoors on a clear spring day. This has been shown to help regulate the body clock. The light from the box can help synchronize sleep/wake patterns.
3. Avoid sugary snacks: Whole grains, vegetables and fruits are a natural treatment for seasonal affective disorder or depression because they stabilize energy.
4. Exercise regularly: Staying fit and keeps your metabolism burning fat and calories – which helps treat Seasonal Affective Disorder.
5. Eat low-fat dairy products: When cooking hearty dishes in the winter months; reach for skim milk instead of whole milk. This natural treatment for depression will help keep your weight down, too!
6. Avoid butter, margarine, and high salt intake: Season your foods with olive oil, fresh herbs and spices instead. The food will actually taste better, and you’ll avoid extra fat and calories.
7. Supplement your Vitamin D: Vitamin D is produced when the sun’s rays hit the skin, making deficiencies common in winter. Supplementing your vitamin D has been proven to boost overall mood.