It’s time to get up and head outdoors, which is why we partnered with Special K for fun ways to shake off the Winter blues.
I’m the first to admit to using Winter as an excuse to stay indoors, because who wants to walk around in slushy rain or blustering snow, right? The desire to get motivated about checking things off my must-do list quickly gets squashed by the temptation of the cozy couch. But now is the time to get yourself out of that hibernation funk and change up your daily routine just in time for Spring. From fresh recipes to cleaning challenges, we have 21 ways to get you up and moving today.
1. Take a photo tour: Head outdoors and become a nature photographer in your neighborhood. Walk briskly while exploring all the new plants on your block. And don’t forget to share your pics with friends, motivating them to do the same.
2. Set goals: Use moving from season to season as an opportunity to set new goals, like running outdoors three times per week, learning how to cook, or finally asking for that raise. Accomplishing a goal just feels so good — and motivates you to do more!
3. Hit the farmers market: Spring brings so many fresh flavors, so head to your local farmers market for a little taste testing. Most booths encourage you to sample, which makes it a delicious way to spend an afternoon.
4. Throw a party: It might not be barbecue season yet, but that doesn’t mean you can clear a bit of outdoor space for welcoming friends over for margaritas and grilled chicken. It’s a fun way to reconnect while celebrating warmer weather.
5. Cook fresh: Instead of ordering in pizza again, cook a fresh dinner with seasonal ingredients. You’ll hone cooking techniques while awakening your taste buds.
6. Listen to music: A good song has the ability to change your mood in minutes, so put together a playlist with all your favorite tunes that motivate you to move. Play it loud and have your own dance party.
7. Go to the beach: No matter where you live, swimming is something you associate with Summer, so head to a beach, pond, river, or even pool and listen to the lapping water. Sure, it might be too chilly to jump in, but just being by water calms nerves while encouraging your wanderlust.
8. Do a cell-phone detox: Social media is a mega distraction, so make the time to do a detox from your phone. Instead of texting or calling a friend, make a date to meet up and enjoy a coffee at an outdoor café.
9. Plan a picnic: Pack some sandwiches, fruit, veggies, and other delicious snacks, and head to a local park for a fun picnic. Invite a few friends and turn it into an afternoon of relaxing in the sunshine.
10. Eat lots of fruit: Pineapple, oranges, limes, and even strawberries are packed with vitamin C, which boosts your immunity while invigorating you. Eat them fresh or make easy snacks for noshing.
11. Check out a beach read: Summer isn’t the only time to chill out with a beach read. Visualize yourself lounging in the hot sun while devouring the pages.
12. Do a fun workout: On days there are Spring showers, mix up your exercise routine with fun workouts you can do anywhere.
13. Look local: Check your community board for group activities or free events you can attend. From movies in the park to local theater productions, it’s a fun way to get out of the house and experience something different.
14. Go through your closet: Have a fashion show and try on all your favorite Spring and Summer clothes. While you’re at it, take a closer look at your winterwear and get rid of anything that doesn’t fit — or that you aren’t wearing.
15. Write letters: It might sound funny, but sending a note in the mail to someone you love just makes you feel good. Sit down and spend an hour writing letters to a few special people in your life, and then walk to the mailbox. That good feeling radiates through your body — and you might get some mail in return!
16. Arrange flowers: Fresh flowers give a little life to your dreary space — and the scent is so therapeutic. And you can arrange your own flowers with your favorite blooms.
17. Get some sleep: Skimping on sleep leaves you looking tired, and not getting eight hours per night isn’t great for glowing skin. Head to bed early and wake up with the sun. Your brain and body will be ready to take on the day.
18. Take our cleaning challenge: Even if you don’t get into cleaning, scrubbing something clean does offer a touch of accomplishment. Take our Spring-cleaning challenge for a sparkling tomorrow.
19. Do tai chi: You’ve probably seen a group of people moving super slowly through tai chi moves in the park, so jump in and join! You might feel a little silly at first, but it’s a wonderful practice that encourages calmness while breathing in the fresh air.
20. Add some spice: There are several invigorating ingredients you can include in your diet to give you a natural boost. Cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne are all great for your metabolism, breaking you out of your Winter funk.
21. Change your environment: Yes, that cozy blanket is a must during cold nights, but rearranging your furniture, stashing blankets, and replacing with vibrantly colored pillows or throws enlivens your space. And you can get rid of clutter while you’re at it.