Bright Light Therapy/Depression Lights
Studies show that light treatment for depression affects the pineal gland's production of melatonin, a hormone that is believed to help prevent and relieve symptoms of depression. Here are a few nutritional suggestions for depression treatment and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in conjunction with light therapy and depression lights.
Nutrition and Depression
The following list of nutrients taken from Stephen Langer, M.D. and James F. Scheer's book, the Pocket Guide to Natural Health, have been shown to be effective in relieving depression:
- Vitamin B-Complex:
- 100 mg daily. Necessary for maintaining the biochemical balance of all B vitamins when supplementing with any single B vitamin.
- Vitamin B 1:
- 400 mg daily. Helps restore brain levels of the neurotransmitter acetycholine, a mood elevator.
- Vitamin B 12:
- 2,000 mcg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters. Always supplement when taking high amounts of folic acid.
- Vitamin C:
- 1,000 mg three times daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- Folic Acid:
- 5 mg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- 1,500 mg after breakfast and lunch. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- 1,000 mg taken twice daily with L-tyrosine. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- (SAMe) 400 mg twice daily for three weeks, then 200 mg daily for maintenance. Activates the brain to make the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
Actual Client Testimonials
"I really like the Alaska Northern Lights box. It's BRIGHT and the light is still very easy on the eyes- not all light boxes are like that. It's 10,000 lux at a couple feet, I believe, which means the box doesn't have to be right in front of my face to work for SAD. The workmanship is excellent and I'm very happy with it. I also bought the floor stand, which could use improvement in one area- it only tilts at a few set angles and can't always be set as I'd like. That said, I'd probably buy the stand again- It allows the light to be at an angle coming from above which is more natural and not only does it work great for SAD, but makes a VERY nice area task lamp with a very bright, soft, even light that covers an entire work area."