Bright Light Therapy/Depression Lights
Studies show that light therapy treatment for depression affects the pineal gland's production of melatonin, a hormone that is believed to help prevent and relieve symptoms of depression. Here are a few nutritional suggestions for depression treatment and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in conjunction with light therapy and depression lights.
Nutrition and Depression
The following list of nutrients taken from Stephen Langer, M.D. and James F. Scheer's book, the Pocket Guide to Natural Health, have been shown to be effective in relieving depression:
- Vitamin B-Complex:
- 100 mg daily. Necessary for maintaining the biochemical balance of all B vitamins when supplementing with any single B vitamin.
- Vitamin B 1:
- 400 mg daily. Helps restore brain levels of the neurotransmitter acetycholine, a mood elevator.
- Vitamin B 12:
- 2,000 mcg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters. Always supplement when taking high amounts of folic acid.
- Vitamin C:
- 1,000 mg three times daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- Folic Acid:
- 5 mg daily. Needed for making BH4, the raw material for synthesizing antidepression neurotransmitters.
- 1,500 mg after breakfast and lunch. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- 1,000 mg taken twice daily with L-tyrosine. Deficiencies linked to depression.
- (SAMe) 400 mg twice daily for three weeks, then 200 mg daily for maintenance. Activates the brain to make the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine.
Actual Client Testimonials
"I've lived in Oregon for 3 years now after having moved here from Arizona. Every Winter is very long up here and has been very difficult for me. After doing some research and spending a pretty penny I bought the 'Carribean Sun Blue' light box. I used it for 5 months with no result. I only found the color and brightness rather irritating. After doing more research I purchased your light box, rolling floor stand (a great accessory!), and storage bag. The results were darn near immediate. I'm never going back. I enjoy using this product every morning for about an hour while on my PC. My outlook has improved and I have begun finding it easier to get out of the house and do things. Something that it difficult for people suffering from depression. I am convinced that I am not experiencing a 'placebo effect' with your product as I have tried out another light box to no effect. Thank you so very much. It was worth every penny that I spent. Wish I had picked it out sooner."